Reply To: Black Man in a White Coat Response

Home Forums Julio’s Sections Black Man in a White Coat Response Reply To: Black Man in a White Coat Response

#981
brookeni
Participant

I agree with your comment that I also did not know that this is the way the system worked. This made me immediately think about how overcrowded Grady Memorial hospital was described to be but there was no other place for these people to go unless they had the right insurance. Tweedy also outlines how different his experience was at Duke with his experience at Grady and with the EMTs. He reflects on himself as a doctor when the EMTs have to help someone in a domestic violence situation. He thinks to himself “was it my medical training that caused me to see him as a list of potential health problems rather than an individual? Or was it the many ways in which I’d been indoctrinated by both white and black people, throughout my life, to see poor blacks as inferior and susceptible to so many problems? My reaction troubled me. What good came from thinking this way?” (Tweedy, 99). I think this quote connects to the concept of individual experiences that we have talked about so much in class and that you mention above. Tweedy himself asks what good comes from assuming people have health conditions instead of looking at each person individually? How does this influence how doctors care for their patients? These are important questions that require the narratives of each patient to fully understand.