Reply To: Black Man in a White Coat, 54-102, 105-152

Home Forums Grant’s Sections Black Man in a White Coat, 54-102, 105-152 Reply To: Black Man in a White Coat, 54-102, 105-152

#960
cestelle
Participant

In Black Man in a White Coat, race is recurring theme. Race has affected how Damon Tweedy M.D. sees himself compared to his peers as well as how his peers and patients see him. One good example of this is on page 92. Tweedy brought up a good point about how being black affects the way he thinks about his race and its relation to his work, but also how he perceives people think about his race and its relation to his work. Tweedy asks if when looking at injured black patients, white doctors would ask “’What’s wrong with these people?’ Or were we projecting our own insecurities onto them?” At first, I thought it might be silly to think that other doctors and peers might judge him by race but I am ignorant to this as a middle class white woman who has not been in his experience. I think it is a tricky topic because although there are many people who do not believe race matters in a person’s ability (such as myself) there are still people out there who think there is a difference. One example that really stuck out to me was the passage about the patient who did not want to be seen by a black doctor (page 108). It honestly blows my mind that there are still people out there who have such negative opinions regarding people of a different race – especially when they have gone through school, training, are obviously qualified to do any of the work expected of them. This passage really opened my eyes that there is still so much discrimination, both obvious, like the example above, and subtle such as how the doctor viewed the black women who was on crack and had a miscarriage earlier in the book.