Week 12 Response: 5B

Home Forums Julio’s Sections Week 12 Response: 5B

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Throughout the 5B documentary, there were various points in the film where I felt quite ill– physically sick to my stomach. It was extremely disheartening to watch as progress was finally being made in regard to homosexual rights/overall acceptance, only to be suddenly stopped due to a force uncontrollable by human beings. I found it enhancing to the documentary that a multitude of speakers were chosen to be interviewed. Such speakers included doctors and nurses who provided during the peak of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, both homosexual and heterosexual, in addition to various other people effected in the 1980s. Much of the documentary was filled with great ignorance, such as in the scene of the parents rioting outside of the schools. Though I understand the importance of protecting your children, it still shocked me that no matter how many times the doctors announced that the disease could not be spread just via physical contact, people still refused to accept it. This contradicts the modern medicine approach that we discussed in the beginning of the semester. I thought of this because many people see what doctors say as being law, unarguable, and oftentimes facts. Therefore, the prejudice against homosexuals was proved further when suddenly what the doctors said became greatly questioned.
    On a lighter note however, I was uplifted roughly halfway through the film when the woman began throwing parties for the AIDS patients every other week. I found the joy in the eyes of the patients to be priceless. It was also inspiring to watch the nurses, in the beginning of the documentary, who refused to cover themselves in protective gear when dealing with AIDS patients. The effect of physical touch on a human being is oftentimes forgotten until it is no longer available. The courage of these nurses illuminated throughout the entire hour and thirty minutes, something I will carry with me if I decide to pursue a healthcare career.

brutons1
    Participant

I loved reading this post as it really hits hard in relation to the emotional dexterity of AIDS patients. My mother’s best friend in high school was diagnosed with AIDS (while in the 12th grade) and my grandparents refused to let my mother visit him as it was against their religious preference. The part of the movie that discussed a patient whose family would not visit him (if I am not mistaken his name was Steve) reminds us that fear as well as stigma keep us from holding on to the relationships we hold most dearly. In addressing homosexual and heterosexual accounts of nurses who combated the disease, it seems almost reasonable to say that these nurses are the side of the disease that we turn a blind-eye to out of hopelessness.

lilah116
    Participant

I think this was an amazingly written post. I stopped to comment on this post because I completely forgot about the aids parties that that woman thew for the patients. I remember when I first saw her all dressed up and my first thought being “aww.” Yes, these people were on borrowed time and were just waiting to die, but she gave them a little joy during a very hard time. I’ve always been aware of the importance of physical touch and feeling of well-being/belonging, however, this movie inspired me to make sure I am doing all I can for my loved ones. Make sure I tell them I love them, give them hugs, celebrate the small achievements. All before its too late. This is something that I also want to carry along with me as I too pursue a healthcare career!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.