Reply To: Black Man in a White Coat, 1-53

Home Forums Grant’s Sections Black Man in a White Coat, 1-53 Reply To: Black Man in a White Coat, 1-53

#895
kmwelsh
Participant

Tweedy did an excellent job articulating his experience with discrimination as a black doctor and seeing racism in the medical field. It takes a lot of emotional regulation, self reflections and self control for a person to be able to see a situation as it truly is and choose not to react to it. As someone who identifies as a white female, it opened up my eyes to the fact that this constant emotional regulation, self reflection and self control is something that black Americans have to face every day. I think the best example of Tweedy’s strength was presented when his professor asked Tweedy what he was doing in the professors class room and asked him to fix the lights and didn’t apologize for doing so. The way Tweedy articulated his inner dialog, was cool and collected, but he did not down-play his anger, disappointment and frustration.
It was eye opening to learn about this professors reaction when Tweedy received the 2nd highest grade on the class final and had the nerve to ask him to do research for him. I can still see this happening in class rooms and universities today. I believe this type of response is common with first generational colleges students and students with disabilities. How can we bridge the gap between students with traditional backgrounds and students who face other challenges within a university?