Reply To: The Masque of the Red Death

Home Forums Grant’s Sections The Masque of the Red Death Reply To: The Masque of the Red Death

cestelle
Participant

Angel, you had a really insightful post about the Red Death and comparing it to HIV/AIDS. Though I noticed some similarities between this piece and the AIDS epidemic, I did not make all of the connections between the violence of the people towards the masked figure and the violence towards homosexual men who were presumed to have AIDS. It is interesting to think that the people in the story thought they were above getting the Red Death because of their prestige, it reminds of class last Friday and learning about the politicians wife. She was seen as “too good” to get AIDS because she was a straight woman in a relationship. Her being diagnosed with AIDS was a real shock to people. I also think that it is interesting that this piece was called Red Death and that the color to support AIDS is red. Much like the people who wanted to avoid the red and black room, people tried to avoid individuals who had AIDS or were presumed to have AIDS.